Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mr. Bean at the Olympics!

So, I was watching the London Olympic opening ceremonies last night ... I have to confess that these types of shows are not really my thing. I love watching the competitions, but the ceremonies? Not so much.

Anyway, they announce that the orchestra will be playing the theme from Chariots of Fire and I immediately yawn. Boring ... or so I thought. Don't get me wrong, I actually like orchestras. I'm a fan of classical music and had they said the orchestra would be performing the Brandenburg Concertos or something, I'd have been excited about it. But this particular piece is not one of my favorites.

The orchestra begins playing and the cameras pan in on a musician seated in front of a keyboard and ... it's Mr. Bean! How awesome is that? Now I'm sitting straight up, completely rapt in the scene before me. I LOVE Mr. Bean (and Rowan Atkinson in general, loved him in Black Adder and The Thin Blue Line). And it was classic Mr. Bean. The look on his face when he flipped his sheet music over only to see that he had one note to play throughout the whole piece while the pianist next to him was jamming away (and kudos to that guy for keeping it together with Mr. Bean next to him) was absolutely priceless. I think that's one of the things I loved most about Rowan Atkinson playing Mr. Bean - his ability to act almost exclusively with his facial expressions, a great talent in my opinion.

Also, the queen and 007 parachuting into the stadium was pretty cool.

To conclude, great to see you again, Mr. Bean - one of the coolest beans ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment