Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Wreck the Halls, Christmas with Cats

Every year, as the Christmas season approaches, to make sure that I don't let my guard down, I revisit the horror that was December 2006 for me. Okay, horror isn't quite the right word, but let's just say that it wasn't the Norman Rockwell Christmas of my dreams.

After losing my precious, cat soul-mate Siamese the prior February, I'd decided that I couldn't live without at least one Siamese in my life, so I got two kittens, one seal point named Benton and his blue point brother, Jack. Add to that the puppy we'd gotten that year (having also lost a beautiful, loyal, awesome dog in January) and you have the makings of quite a cute Christmas card ... or so I thought. Like most deluded kitten and puppy owners, I looked forward to the holiday season with my playful little furballs.

I suppose in the eighteen years since I'd adopted my first Siamese, I'd forgotten about all of the mischief he used to get into, not the least of which was removing an alarmingly large amount of wallpaper from the walls of a rented apartment, eating an entire slipper, making off with a pet iguana, trashing the apartment so thoroughly that I thought I'd been robbed, and completely biting through the Christmas tree lights extension cord. It is due to this selective amnesia that the extent of kitten mischief my new meezers engaged in actually took me by surprise. Then there was Daphne, the new puppy who was so destructive that we took to calling her The Daphinator.

While I had dreamed of a warm, festive holiday season, what actually followed was an angst-filled month of destruction and home-wrecking (by the animals), and newly emerging neuroses and alcohol consumption (by me) - all of which was documented in the kittens' blog. Pardon the writing, this is an unedited blog and I was, after all, having a nervous breakdown (and quite possibly drunk) when I wrote most of it.

Scroll to the bottom to begin reading: Benton and Jack's Christmas Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment