Monday, October 22, 2012

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

During the month of October, my husband and I watch a horror movie each weekend. We each get to pick two. This month's selections were chosen some time ago: Carrie (not nearly as scary as I'd remembered), Shaun of the Dead (always a pleaser), The Thing (not exactly my thing, but hubby likes it), and this coming weekend's selection, The Hitcher (the original, scary Rutger Hauer version, not the remake - which I was not thrilled with and only own b/c I clicked buy without looking close enough).

However, while browsing in a store this past week, we came across Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. Now, we'd already watched three of the month's movies, and there was only one more weekend to come, but the appeal of this movie was too much for us to resist. Hillbillies that aren't scary Deliverance types (since my Daddy was an Appalachian mountain man, we like hillbillies) and comical mix-ups that lead to all sorts of misconceptions. Sounded good, so we bought it. And we added an extra movie night this past weekend.

Honestly, my expectations weren't all that high, but only because I'm not a slasher movie fan. However, we do like Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine and had every confidence that they'd make us laugh. We were not disappointed. I laughed my ass off! It reminded me of another movie that caused similarly inappropriate yet uncontrollable laughter called Big Nothing, but that's another story. Back to Tucker and Dale. Very funny. SPOILER ALERT! Seeing Alan Tudyk ask someone who'd just fallen into a wood chipper if he was okay in such a way that you could almost imagine doing the same thing in the highly unlikely event that you found yourself in similar circumstances was brilliant. Great writing. Terrific acting. Tudyk and Labine's characters were refreshingly likeable.

We will definitely be revisiting this one next October, along with Shaun of the Dead, and I think we'll have to watch Repo: the Genetic Opera again. Just need to come up with a fourth, maybe Salem's Lot or something similar.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. One of my friends I work with at DISH told me to check it out a couple of weeks ago, so I rented it with my Blockbuster @Home package a few days later. My expectations weren't at all high for it either, but thankfully I was pleasantly surprised with it in the end and really loved it. Gory movies aren't usually the films I go for, but this one had a good mixture of gore and humor that I really enjoyed. I found myself laughing out loud through most of the movie too, especially when it came to that wood chipper scene lol! After renting it and loving it so much, I’ll definitely be adding this one to my DVD collection to watch every Halloween from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete